Friday, July 10, 2009

a public service announcement

Non-allergic Amoxicillin Rash.


What started out as two mosquito bites, that the doctor couldn't say did or didn't look like Lime Disease, turned into a full body rash.
Apparently somewhere between 3%-10% of children develop this rash as a result of taking amoxicillin. It is also very common if you have mono and you take amoxicillin. Apparently developing this rash doesn't preclude you from taking amoxicillin in the future. Hummm...I will have to think about that the next time the doctor suggests antibiotics for Carina. By the way I truly don't think Carina had Lime Disease, I think she has incredibly sensitive skin, that according to Grandma Sue, comes naturally.

4 comments:

Took said...

poor hivey ivy! even all rashy she's still a cutie pie.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Poor baby- but look at that smile. Doesn't have her too down now does it?

Suzie said...

My son has had a rash for 9 days that 3 doctors couldn't figure out. This looks just like what he has. He was on amoxicillin for 1 day when the rash started. Can you tell me how long it took your daughter to recover and anything that helped her feel better? My email is SuzieHuitt@yahoo.com. I'm taking him back to the pediatrician again tomorrow, hopefully this will send her in the right direction.

Unknown said...

Wow I just saw this women's comment, it took a couple of days once we discontinued the medication for it to go away. We just avoid anything in the penicillin family of drugs now.