Monday, October 6, 2008

Little Miss independent

So Travis and I have been skiing now for almost 8 years and about the time I was really getting good...I got pregnant. I missed out on the last few months of the 2005 season and the first few months of the 2006 session. Thanks to a wonderful friend, Took, and my mother in law who actually came to the resort and took care of Carina while I skied I was able to get a few runs in a couple of months after Carina was born. By the time Carina was a year old Travis and I decided to take her out with us. Now before you call the child welfare hotline consider this she, was well dressed in the best waterproof breathable gear Travis could find and in a wonderful backpack with a helmet.





Well we have always planned easy low angle trips. Great intentions but occasionally you find yourself over your head. Well on one particular day of skiing Travis took quite a spill and damaged his rear end in his attempt to save Carina from any danger.

She was not physically harmed but she defiantly decided that this skiing in the backpack was not for her. The wee when going down the hill quickly become tears of fear. We were not deterred and so Travis rigged a sled which had so much potential to work out...but unfortunately it is to unstable on the downhill portion. Travis ended up towing us both out on our last trip because I rode in the sled to add some stability. WOW I wish we had a picture of that. We were sure that we had ruined skiing for Carina for good.

So this last weekend Travis and I went to the local ski shop to smell the new skis. Carina quickly went over to the telegear and found herself some boots and skis and pronounced that she was going to ski by herself this year. WHEW WHO a skier is born!

4 comments:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I love it! She is amazing! So glad I get to "read" you. Love, megan

LuckBringer said...

When you said skiing, the first thing that came to mind was downhill skiing because that is what I do. I was shocked, then I realized from pictures that you meant X-country skiing, then everything made sense. Good luck and have fun skiing with the little one this winter.

Took said...

YES! PINK SKIS! I knew my time with her was not in vain. Looking forward to more posts you clever witty girl you!

Kimberlee said...

how fun! get 'em started young before the fear sets in (i don't ski for exactly that reason...trying to convince a worry-wort 18 year old who paid attention during the "gravity" lecture in high school physics that plunging yourself headlong down a slick, steep mountain is a fun thing to do just doesn't work). so here's to blissful, ignorant, toddler fun!!